Application and FAQ
Want to look good on your college application?
Want to have fun while learning new skills?
Then apply for YLA – the Youth Leadership Academy of Boone County. Many will want to join, but only a select few will be chosen… And you can be one of them!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is YLA (Youth Leadership Academy)?
- YLA is an exciting program just for high school juniors. Learn to meet challenges, participate in hands-on activities (like a ropes course in Little Rock!), meet some of our government leaders, prepare for job interviews, and more! We’ll talk about social media (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn), assess your personality, and celebrate all you’ve accomplished! You’ll build self-confidence and leadership skills so you can make a positive impact on where you live.
- In April, we’ll hold a graduation reception to celebrate your hard work and success in the program, and you can invite your friends and relatives.
- High School Junior in Boone County (or home school)
- GPA is at least 3.0
- I can demonstrate a history of community service
- I have leadership potential
- I am submitting a completed form and essay
- Complete the above form in it's entirety.
- BE SURE to include the required essay with your completed application form. Any application form received without the essay will be ineligible. See details below.
- Applications are due by September 8th
- Participants will be notified by September 18th
- Length: 300-1,000 words
- 1" Margins, Double Spaced, 12 pt font
- Describe your most admired leader, and detailing the qualities he or she possesses that enhance their strengths and effectiveness.
- Upload your application (PDF format) above OR email to email@example.com
- Minimal cost of $20 for each participant for the entire program.
- Please contact your counselor and/or principle for a recommendation to participate.
- Scholarship assistance may be available. Please contact our office to request.
- YLA typically meets 8:30am-2:30pm the third Wednesday of every month, September to April. Please note that there are a few exceptions. Of course, we’ll let you know in ample time so you know where to go and what we’re doing.
- Each class does a community project… and you know college admissions counselors love those.
- We'll meet at the Harrison Regional Chamber office (except for a few rare instances). Again, we’ll let you know where you’re supposed to show up. Oh, and you’ll get free lunch!
- Talk to your respective school counselor
- Call Bob or Wilson at the Harrison Regional Chamber of Commerce (870) 741-2659
- Or email firstname.lastname@example.org